CMA Nominations

Moderator: jimmya

Blocklo

CMA Nominations

Post by Blocklo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:53 am

I was glad to see the categories shake up a little with CMA noms this year. Lady A and Zac Brown and Entertainer of the Year is pretty cool. And it's also cool to see Dierks' bluegrass album get some love.
Who do you think will get Entertainer this year?

RabbitBro

Re: CMA Nominations

Post by RabbitBro » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:14 am

I would just like to express my excitement for the fact that there are so many "new" faces that are getting recognized this year. And by "new" I don't necessarily mean that they are NEW artists, but they are new to the categories that the same folks are always nominated for.

And I'm thrilled for Miranda Lambert, who received a record-setting NINE nominations this year, the most for any female in the history of the CMAs. What a year she's had, huh? Two back-to-back #1 singles (her first ever), winning big at the ACMs, becoming engaged, and now this! She deserves the recognition, for sure.

And very cool that Dierks Bentley is finally getting some nods. I haven't listened to the entire "Up On The Ridge" album, but I hear it's incredible and I'm happy to see him in the "Album of the Year" category.

Just my two cents.

jonibaloney

Post by jonibaloney » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:22 am

I am with you R-Bro....Miranda has had one hell of a year and I am so thrilled for her. I mean, not that we're personal friends or anything but I'm sure she'd be happy for me too if I was to have such a big year. Well whatever, you know what I mean.

I'm a bit perplexed by Lady A getting a 'Nom,' for Entertainer. They couldn't exactly sell out stadiums, play Russia or get their documentary aired on ESPN, but what the hell.

That's my 2-bits.

Rock on

Joni B.

napmouth

Post by napmouth » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:35 am

I did notice that Jason Aldean was missing again. I know it all comes down to votes and that he is on a smaller label but I was pulling for him.

I am also thrilled for Miranda. She seems so real and down to earth so it's good to see her getting some love.

Drunkdog

Post by Drunkdog » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:35 pm

The CMAs are all about industry politics...I was glad to see some shake-ups this year, but I hate it for Darius, Justin Moore, Jason Aldean, etc. who are putting out hits and not getting the props for it. It's all about who's got the most money and who can buy the most votes. Ugh.

debjr

Post by debjr » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:48 am

I, myself, was very disappointed with the CMA nominations especially the EOTY nominations. I don't know what the people were thinking that was voting. There must have been some campaigning going on because 3 of the 5 nominees definitely didn't deserve a nomination this year. Not to say that sometime in the future they won't. I think it is very frustrating to see headliners that have worked their butts off in the last year get overlooked for acts that haven't done half as much for country music. Having a good year does not qualify you as EOTY. With all that said, I hope Brad wins EOTY since he truly deserves it.

napmouth

Post by napmouth » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:51 am

I know some people are saying that Lady A doesn't deserve to be nominated in that category yet but they have been all over the place in the last year. They have played a lot of different shows and clearly they are really popular right now.
I do think its hard for acts on smaller labels to get nominated though which is too bad. I dont know how you would combat that but I am glad to see the Jason Aldeans of the industry having such success.

RabbitBro

Post by RabbitBro » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:51 pm

debjr wrote:There must have been some campaigning going on because 3 of the 5 nominees definitely didn't deserve a nomination this year. Not to say that sometime in the future they won't. I think it is very frustrating to see headliners that have worked their butts off in the last year get overlooked for acts that haven't done half as much for country music. Having a good year does not qualify you as EOTY.
Deb, I'm not sure I agree with your statements. We're all entitled to an opinion, so I applaud you for sharing yours, and I will now share mine. Every single one of those acts has worked their butts off to get to where they are now. Lady Antebellum may not have had a headlining tour, but they have headlined several shows here and there, and they've become one of the biggest Pop-Country crossover acts next to Taylor Swift, thanks to "Need You Now." They put on a fantastic show, so who's to say they are not EOTY worthy? Miranda Lambert is currently in the middle of her first headlining tour and she's had back-to-back #1's from a VERY critically acclaimed album, which has already been named "Album of the Year" at the ACMs. I'd say she's very deserving of the EOTY nomination. Zac Brown Band continues to have the top-selling Country album this year (next to Lady A) and they're on their first headlining tour this year, as well. They've had FIVE consecutive number one singles, the first for a band from a debut album in a very long time, if ever. If you have never seen ZBB live, you are in for a real treat. They are absolutely fantastic and totally deserve to be nominated for EOTY. Brad & Keith, we all know they are fabulous entertainers and wildly successful, so sure, I don't see a problem with them being nominated in that category as well.

That's all I have to say about that. :)

jimmya

Post by jimmya » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:29 am

Hey there has been a lot of great banter about the CMA Award nominees here, and I just wanted to tell everyone that you should read Jimmy Carter's column this week in the ALL ACCESS Country section.

It's always insightful, but this week's is especially good.

Check it out...it's called "Rumbles From The Row"

Thanks!

Jim

janet986w

Post by janet986w » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:53 am

Hi !
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.