Gerry House hangs up his headphones

Moderator: jimmya

RabbitBro

Gerry House hangs up his headphones

Post by RabbitBro » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:11 am

On a day that you would think would be quiet news-wise, it was quite shocking to me to hear that Gerry House & The House Foundation will be doing their last show for WSIX on December 15th. He has been such a staple in Country radio for so long, it will be odd not to hear him next year. But he has done well for himself and he deserves a great retirement ahead.

Whoever will be hired as the next WSIX morning show will have some HUGE shoes to fill. I'll be interested to see what happens next...

adamdm

Re: Gerry House hangs up his headphones

Post by adamdm » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 am

No doubt a shocker, but...at the same time I could see it coming. They bought that house down in Florida, and that's a long trip for even a three-day weekend.

On a mostly unrelated note...can anyone within the sound of my voice explain to me where the Nashville/Tennessee forums went? Do they now only have the format boards and the Top 25 markets??

Blocklo

Post by Blocklo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:35 am

Those are some big shoes to fill but it's gonna be a fun few months left on the air. It will be interesting to see what direction the show takes in mornings now.
Congrats to Gerry! Enjoy your sleeping in...you deserve it!

jimmya

Post by jimmya » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:06 pm

I read an article in the Tennessean over the weekend that Gerry and his wife had one of their best friends pass away recently to cancer. It was after the funeral that they made the decision that he'd leave WSIX.

I think it's really admirable, and the guy's gonna go out on top. He's had a great run and now he should enjoy himself.

There's still a few months left and his final shows should be great.

Thanks.

Jim Asker

mlizzle

Post by mlizzle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:05 pm

adamdm wrote:On a mostly unrelated note...can anyone within the sound of my voice explain to me where the Nashville/Tennessee forums went? Do they now only have the format boards and the Top 25 markets??
Hi Adam... Mary Lynne from All Access here. We have never had "Nashville/Tennessee" forums, just format-specific and Top 25 market forums. Before we launched the new version of this site last year, we had the "Nashville Enquirer." It was just a message board, not a forum with several threads. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Hope this helps... :)

~ML

SkyPotato

Post by SkyPotato » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:04 am

I am sure the other morning shows in Nashville are gearing up with this news too!
It will be really interesting to see who they replace him with. That's a daunting task for the new person but also a great gig. I wonder what they will work up for the last show.

musica22

Post by musica22 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:10 am

I wonder why Big D & Bubba don't just slide into the morning shift. They are mornings everywhere else on their syndicated show. They fill in for Gerry all the time when he's gone on vacation. It would make sense for them to slide over from afternoons to mornings...but then again, what DOES make sense these days in radio?

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:58 am

I knew House well in LA. He's the best morning man I ever met, BAR NONE! Myself included BTW, and I wasn't bad.

Whatever Gerry sets himself up to do, he'll succeed no doubt, but radio is going to be poorer without him.

Scott Carpenter

napmouth

Post by napmouth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:42 am

I could see Big D and Bubba taking the shift. It wouldn't be shocking for sure. I am wondering if they won't go with something a little different though since they already have them on a great afternoon show there.

musica22

Post by musica22 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:59 am

It's probably too easy for Big D & Bubba to slide over to mornings. There's a huge search going on for the station's next morning star, so I'm sure they will go with someone completely new. There's a ton of good people that are out of work, so it will be interesting to see who they choose.