NBC Olympic Coverage

Moderator: pmsimon

sports723

NBC Olympic Coverage

Post by sports723 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:05 pm

I consider myself a fairly intelligent sports fan. I don't need a lot explained to me over the course of a competition, lest it be something that happens once in a blue moon. That being said, I am not ashamed to admit that I am in the dark on most of these sports in the Winter Olympics. In fact, that's largely the reason I am drawn to the Olympiad, it's a chance to reconnect with sports I have missed over the past four years (CURLING!).

I have to think that I am in the majority of the viewing public in that mindset. That's where NBC's coverage, or lack there of, should take over. I don't need puff pieces on the polar bear. I need to know why going late into turn 11 can cost somebody or some team a medal. I need to know what made a performance/run/etc a gold medal effort. I found myself yelling at NBC last night during figure skating, yes I watch figure skating, where the analysts gasped, oohed and aahed at performances without so much as telling me what was going on.

So, NBC, while people complain about not showing events live and delaying them to prime time (got to keep the audience captivated) and taking too many commercials (they're in the hole 250 million, I get maximizing the commercial time), I am griping about something that is completely in their control. Have these so called "experts" explain to me what's going on, don't leave me in the dark about the little things that can and will make a difference in the outcomes. A completely even and competitive playing field is part of what makes the Olympics great. Explain to me what separates some athletes from the rest, preferably like I'm a five-year old.