Ted Williams?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jayester

Ted Williams?

Post by jayester » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm

What is your spin on the "Ted-nomenon" :?:

pbergin

Re: Ted Williams?

Post by pbergin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:33 am

I was extremely critical of the whole thing originally, what with thousands of radio people out on their cans through no fault of their own, and was soundly chastised for saying so in some comments I made to the story.

But after seeing interviews with the guy, how could I not be impressed? His is a helluva comeback saga, and (more importantly) he's got the chops. Good for him!

ScoobyJ1

Post by ScoobyJ1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:45 am

pbergin:

I have similar sentiments. Part of me really does appreciate a good story that shows charity and goodwill. However, as an unemployed radio guy that was downsized from my company through no fault of my own, I can't help but be a tad resentful of the opportunities bestowed on this guy simply for novelty.

This guy has fantastic pipes but received notoriety simply for being homeless. These opportunities have not be available to me because I am fortunate enough to have support around me to keep me a float and I have not abused drugs.

i realize this may come off as a bit glib and uncharitable. I am not. I am thankful everyday to have a support system that can help me out through troubling times and I am fortunate to know that even if my situation gets worse I will never be homeless or go hungry. I recognize that and am appreciate for that.

At the same time I am having trouble finding my next opportunity because the job market field is over saturated and radio is still going through cut backs. It is difficult for me to submit resume after resume and make phone call after phone call and not get any responses and then see what is going on with Ted Williams.

I do want to make clear that I believe everybody deserves second chances and I am glad that this guy is getting one. Further, I commend people for being charitable with him. I just wish that similar opportunities were bestowed upon me and my other out of work radio brethren who do not have such a hollywood story to tell.

Joel Frank
Charleston, SC

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:51 pm

I just don't see anyone showing this guy charity. Nor should they. He's got a hell of a set of pipes, but more importantly, he knows how to use them.

Something else that impressed me; the sign he was holding said it all. Like it or not, this guy marketed himself and got noticed. He deserves whatever gig that he's talented enough to earn.

From the sound of things, he'll be just fine. I hope he stays on track with his life now. He's pretty plugged in to God it sounds like...never a bad thing!

cristalbubblin

Post by cristalbubblin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 am

Hey Joel I agree with you 200%!! Its crazy to me how all we're hearing about it "Lay-offs" & "Budget cuts" yet this homeless guy shows up & there are hundreds of openings. I'm happy he has the opportunity to get back on his feet, however, I'm disgusted by the fact that when he was working his company did nothing to help him stay off the streets. Now they're giving "I always believed in him" quote to the press. I really hope he is able to maintain with these opportunities & doesn't use the money to go back into that life of drug & alcohol abuse.

Yes, he has a good set of pipes & knows how to use him, there are hundreds of use with great voices that know how to use them & can't get so much as a "We received your resume" from these companies. Mr. Williams has an agent & a PR Team now which I find well... just... odd.

At any rate, I'll be praying for my fellow out of work radio personalities as well as Ted. In the meantime, I've got a sign & video to make.

Peace & Love,
Cristal Bubblin

boing

Post by boing » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:37 am

Boiled down:

Good for him.

but

I can't shake the feeling he jumped the line.

then again for years it's been more about who you know and luck than skills and abilities

Watching the news story in his first on air interview, a rep from CC Columbus was on hand to offer him a voice tracking contract worth up to ten thousand dollars. (wonder how many stations were to be treated to variations of ("when you're listening to the best oldies you're listening to 98 point 5")

Then the ante was upped and he gets a gig with an NBA team (can he play power forward, that where the Cavs need help) AND a house

Basically I put him in the category of the Extreme make over winners, Oprah's Favorite thing audience,
and other situations where someone is in the right place at the right time. LUCKY WINNERS one and all.

Certainly countless out of work radio peeps with equal voices or better still great personality and entertainment skills, who can't even get there demo listened to or resume looked at. So, great that his radio lotto number hit.....

Funny how many of us over 50s are DOA trying to line up a gig but Ted is 52 and he's gold?

Is that good news for all the 50 somethings, or is this just a one shot, touchy feely, all warm inside
story.

Can we take a lesson here and now just send a 10 second demo liner with no resume and get consideration?

Wishing him success and hoping he can put the past behind him.

and hoping still many more can put their GOD given talents back on the air.

jayester

Post by jayester » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Danno hit home about being treated for doing bad. The other comments (and future comments coming) have caused some soul searching, which is always good. And how many of us would do something (almost anything) to get a gig like that if we were in Ted's shoes? In fact, I know of one such person who actually did something so brazen over 20-years ago. I was a PD at a west suburban Chicago station (now the River) who one day in walked a gentlemen who actually had no on-air experience. He was actually operated a forklift at the local Nabisco plant and wanted to radio forever.
He had good pipes and a positive personality and yes I needed some on-air help on the weekend, and since that station was locate din Aurora, which even then was about 40% Hispanic, it did not hurt that he spoke Spanish fluidly. He was very thankful for the opportunity and sounded great, unfortunately I had to let him go, but helped him produce a tape to take to other stations. He did not get hired at first and was a little distraught but that is when he went into the market himself mode. While WGN's Roy Leonard was doing a live broadcast on WGN radio of the Museum of Broadcasting grand opening, here marches by a guy wearing a sandwich sign that basically said will work for radio. And I believe he ended up being interviewed live on-air on WGN. Well, he did get a job at another suburban station but I am most proud of the fact of him landing a gig at B-96 as he sent one of his tapes over there and kept calling Buddy Scott's office, which of course someone else would answer and just take a message until one day, and I think the 28th try, Buddy actually answered. Long Story short, Jose Solis, I believe, became the first Hispanic on air at a non-ethic rock station.
Like many of the comments so far, I cannot really blame Ted for milking it for all it's worth. I mean, he does know how to play the game which is performing. But I wonder if it were not for the media coverage would big sponsor names be falling all over themselves signing them up. I think not. I also wonder what us 50-somethings need to do to get noticed. Maybe we should start a link and use it as a think tank to think up some ideas outside the box (in this case, an apparent homeless shelter). I mean, once we do get hired, don't we always wrack our brains for station promotions?
Instead of a promoting WXYZ...let's promote WYOU (KYOU east of the Mississippi). :idea:

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:36 pm

"Front of the line..."

What!?

There's no line! There's only those who have the talent and get the breaks. Period.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:50 am

Sorry, Danno, the planet is called reality. And again, there is no line!

Do you think that as jobs become available the jock out of work longest is the one that gets hired? How about the one that sent the most resumes or made the most calls? Should they be "next in line"?

As far as it being a "hoax", and those of us who don't believe you being "suckers", this is neither the time or place to school you on promotions. What you need to know is that any offers made by CC or anyone else were not made to benefit Ted "because, gee, he's a great guy and deserves another chance in life". They were made strictly to bring attention to those making the offer.

jerimiah

Post by jerimiah » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

The latest....Ted's daughter says he's relapsing under the pressure...and consuming a bottle of Grey Goose every night. They were taken into custody in LA for arguing loudly in a hotel. No charges filed.

Jerry Gordon KNUU Las Vegas