Traffic Talk Scam

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
mockspeed

Traffic Talk Scam

Post by mockspeed » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:40 pm

I think it's absurd that AA allows alleged start-ups (still seeking investors) to run ads for volunteer on-air talent. With the amount of unemployment in this industry it just comes off as a method to scam talent with the possibility of paid work in the future. Very shaky revenue model, likely to fail.

scottevans

Re: Traffic Talk Scam

Post by scottevans » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Its not a scam if they are honest that it is volunteer work. It is dishonest however to promise pay and not be able to deliver. When I operated a net station I found some great talent that voice tracked for me, but I did not allude that payment was a possibility in the future and they did it for enjoyment.

jayester

Post by jayester » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:29 pm

Not a scam per se but certainly morally wrong, especially during a period of so many seasoned pros on the beach. People will always want to do what they have a passion for, that is true. I could remember assembling a weekend part time staff that was just awesome. An RCA A&R guy, a flight attendant,, an FCC flight inspector who would check-ride commercial pilots (he would often zoom in with a Hughes 300 helicopter) and a weekday radio anchor for a Chicago based network. What a group of ambitious, passionate folks, and they were paid. I think the news guy would have done it for non gratis. But for everyone else, they saw it as a little jangle and being able to pay for gas and maybe some mad money. What is wrong is taking advantage of idle and very experienced broadcasters by dangling a carrot but then taking it away as you will just be thrown into the pool of other job applicants. Now, read between-the-lines: you help get this puppy up and running and once we are able to sustain ourselves and are able to open the pocketbook, then we are going to bring in the pros we really want and they will gladly takeover your jobs. If you are looking for free help why not hire an intern? At least they might be able to get some college credit out of the deal and most importantly the student will know what he is getting--a real life radio experience.

mockspeed

Post by mockspeed » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Jayster, you made some great points. In essence their business model is to utilize free talent, so when or more importantly if they receive funding the talent has a chance to be compensated. I would implore people to try to avoid any free work unless it's for a worthy cause. Not for a business plan forged on the backs of free labor in a down market.

danmac

Post by danmac » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:03 am

If you give it away, no will ever value your talent. That may sound harsh but it is the truth.

mediadawg

Post by mediadawg » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:10 am

Sort of like wanting to play at the 100 dollar blackjack table with 25 cents in your pocket.