Where is the New, Young Talent?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
austin014

Re: Where is the New, Young Talent?

Post by austin014 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:07 am

We are here, check out www.nickanddrew.net/naddemo. Feel free to critique, rip me a new one or whatever. Only way for young talent to get anywhere is for us to keep putting ourselves out there. Hopefully, PD's with an ear for talent or ability to coach will discover us and give us a shot. Same PD has to be one who wants more out of his station that just the status quo.

Feel free to email and us and let us know what you think...nickanddrew@hotmail.com

jeepfrag10

Post by jeepfrag10 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Where is the new, young talent???

I have a question for you. Are you sure your even looking?

If you have any sense then you would know that a young talent is far away from radio. Radio is a cranky old man when it comes to talent. The industry is only interested in the fearful. The ones who won't break the rules because they're afraid of pissing someone off or maybe they just want a job. So they say your liners and whatever is expected only to become bored of the industry. A good friend once told me that true creativity and freshness is born out of an environment without boundaries. You PD's and owners have perverted the once great medium into a cesspool of syndication and liner notes that you demand to be read for the sake of YOU. And where's the audience? Don't be nieve. The audience is going to the internet for news and entertainment The MP3 player and internet gives them insight to new music.

Maybe the reason you can't find the talent is because your looking for a person that's okay with being apart of the cookie cutter.

And to all of you, start a podcast and say to hell with terrestrial radio. It's becoming the way of the Newspaper.

jayester

Post by jayester » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:34 am

Don't be nieve??? How naive! Even though radio is an aural medium, communicating clearly (i.e., correct spelling, good grammar and proper sentence structure) goes a long way. As far as young talent being fearful of ownership--save your breath! Station owners were always rulers of their "kingdoms." And if you didn't like the way things were run then, as they are now, quit and start up your own brick and mortar station. While the era of the liner card and cookie cutter radio arrived with consultants, really got going when big business (banks and investors) stepped in when the inept FCC deregulated the airwaves. These non-broadcasters smacked radio into the iceberg and are now the "rats" running off a sinking ship. And unlike social media (which really is a means to an end like an mp3, jpeg, blog or video), radio is a destination unto itself. Fortunately, some broadcasters "get it" and are returning to radio's roots and branding themselves as such. Genuine radio people (including old "cranky" ones) would heartily encourage any young and seemingly angst-ridden talent to podcast away and join the millions of other podcasters in podcast land and keep the radio medium pure for the rest of us.

jeepfrag10

Post by jeepfrag10 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Give me an example of a broadcaster "getting it" and returning back to radio's roots. And what non-broadcaster has left the medium? And where is the mp3, jpeg, blog or video going? Social Networking isn't going anywhere so what do you mean by that? I agree that Radio could cope with change, but it's going to take a few rule breakers. Rule breakers are hard to come by considering the fear I previously stated. Radio could be great; however not right now. Hopefully, these "rats" haven't beaten it too much, but I think they pack a much bigger punch than your average hopeful.

kdgp

Post by kdgp » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:27 pm

ejradio wrote:@Kitmann, I have been working in small unrated markets for 3 years but was laid off in april of last year.....every interview i go into they say the same thing, your great and would be a perfect fit for us but we are going with someone who either has more experience or lives closer. I am doing anything and everything to get back into radio. I LOVE this business, I don't care where I work... large market, small market, unrated market, I don't care, I love radio and I'm happy just to do it...and I know there are a lot more like me out there.
Oh my God @Ejradio, I FEEL you!
I have been part-time for 5 years at the same station… for 5 years, slinging coffee on the side just to pay off those student loans I stacked up. I would give anything for this industry. I would move ANYWHERE, (<- see that, PDs??) to get my chance to get in the industry full time.

Every time something comes open, i send my packet and then sometimes get call back or then I never hear another word. I can't seem to get a break. And then the question is asked: "Where's the fresh young talent?" Really?

We're out there, and we're working hard to get out there to keep this industry alive, syndicated programming is killing us. As long Tesh, Seacrest, and other syndicated programs fill the time and keep the over head operating costs down, most of us "fresh young talent" are going to be stuck being part-time - or worse in @ejradio and @jeffscottshow's case, completely out of the industry.

I LOVE the radio station I work for. I love all the people, and all the people want to hire me full time (so they say) but the "economy is an unstable time to hire) hell, I don't even have to be on air. Just get me in that building every day and I would be the happiest person in the world. I've dreamed about working for this one station since I was a child (I literally grew up listening to the station I work part-time for) and I still pray EVERYDAY that I get hired full time there. How wonderful would that be?! Yes, I dream that.

I'm also a realist. Crap, I work at Starbucks on the side. The chances of me making my career out of Coffee seems much more realistic right? According to @jeepfrag10, he seems to think that radio is dead - right now. Where are those rule breakers? I would love to know some of those people.

However, we must learn from the existing talent. The older generation, the career vets. I love listening to career vets, and learning all I can from them. It's how the young talent grows even more talented. The young talent of our generation CANNOT say "get out the industry you old geezers." I was shocked at some of the undertones I read in this thread. Those career vets lasted as long as they did in this industry for a damn good reason. That reason being they are damn good at what they do. Career vets DESERVE our respect, and we should be honored that a career vet would even give us a minute of their time to help us get better. The more we learn, the more THEY see we actually care about this industry and not just want to become the next John Tesh or Ryan Seacrest or Casey Kaseem. That is a rarity. I'm content to be in the same market I already am or I am content to move 3000 miles away. I just want to be full time in radio.

I don't care if where i work full time is an unranked or small market. I just want a job a full time job in radio. What I always get is what I call the "swirl of unemployment" which is: Can't get a job unless you have experience up you can't get experience until you get a job. How can the swirl of unemployment be broken?
Who is willing to go out on that limb to get those newbies that are wanting to break this vicious cycle!?

Anyone?

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:13 pm

LOL look at all the whiners. It's been crappy in radio for close to a decade. Stop acting like you didn't know it sucked. All of your complaints sound like smokers complaining about cancer. YOU KNEW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN. :lol:

jayester

Post by jayester » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:11 pm

jjenkins makes a valid point. The industry as a whole has been on a downward slide for at least 10 years now (which now is 2001--where does the time go?) The problem newbie’s, wannabes and old "geezers" and anyone else still left in the industry have with radio is that, for some odd reason, it is in our blood. Working at Starbucks or Wal-Mart, while paying the bills, is not working at a radio station (although pay rates are comparable these days). I have tried other careers; I just could not get rid of the itch of being near a radio studio. To most of us, radio is like a drug and we are hooked! The problem is, there are a lot of radio junkies out there in the same boat, only the places where we can "dock" have either consolidated, dried up or disappeared. This radio drug has cast its spell equally on veterans and new talent alike. This is also why internet start up "stations" are able to dangle the carrot of working on our "chops" being on air, with no promise of pay. The problem with that is it seems as if everybody and their uncle have an online "station" and a majority of them sound very amateurish and obviously are not radio people. But even with fewer jobs and more people looking than ever before, I still believe if you have the sound a particular station is looking for, you would at least be considered. You just have to keep plugging away and make yourself as "visible" as possible. Like the other day I was listening to a radio station online (a real radio station) and actually called in and "won" a concert prize. This station was one I had sent a demo to recently. Well I confessed that I was listening online and won't be able to make the concert, thanks anyway and give it to your next caller. The host had a good phone bit but the neat thing was, not only was I on-air (albeit as a contest participant) at the station I would love to work at, I had actually talked to the person who would be reviewing my materials! I was able to send a follow-up email to the call stating that I hope you would consider me for the position. So, to increase your chances of being hired make yourself more visible by thinking outside the box. Be it as a contestant, seeking other work like being an extra (great way to establish contacts) or whatever is your thing. Once, a while back, a radio compadre and former roommate of mine sent his audition tape inside an athletic supporter box with a note saying that he would “rip the balls off the competition.” I believe he got the gig, he certainly got noticed. Whatever it takes to put you over the top could be just one good idea away. In the meantime, best of luck in your search and let us know if you snag anything! ;)

seantgreen

Post by seantgreen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm a new young talent putting out a consistent quality product, getting big name guests and doing it online. The smartphone is a game changer and anyone can access my show at anytime on demand and really is the future of broadcasting.
The Green Room
http://www.seantgreen.com

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:53 am

No, it's the future of narrowcasting.

How in the world is anyone going to learn about your show? Through Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and other social media, right? And who are those people? Individuals you have "Friended" through social media, and no-one else.

Don't get me wrong, this is a perfectly legit approach, however I think it works better for bands, and content providers with a very specific audience. "Broadcasting" it aint.

Traditional, terrestrial radio is still the most efficient way to reach a wide and disperse audience. If you want to be a broadcaster, you should probably stick to push-media. Pull-media will always, by it's very nature, be very specific, esoteric and draw a much smaller audience.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 am

Further to the last post I made on this topic, I ran across this article which may prove interesting:

http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id= ... spid=30800