Job Opportunities You Are Happy You Lost out on

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jayester

Re: Job Opportunities You Are Happy You Lost out on

Post by jayester » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 am

Danno, thanks for the chuckle! I must say presently, getting on air anywhere again, even in a loosing situation would be better than nothing. Well, I was employed in at least two start ups that are no longer around. Unfortunately, I was still at those start ups when the plug was pulled. And at the one-- a start up satellite service--I was informed about the "end" not the next day (which there was not one anyway) but that day in front of the program host and sponsors seated around the table at the weekly production meeting. For once in my broadcast career I was speechless. On the flip-side of that "no-situation wanted" how many times have you also worked for a station or group only to regret leaving later? The grass is not always greener and what's more the turf may have to be fertilized more--if you catch my drift.

koolbreeze6

Post by koolbreeze6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 am

Danno you hit that right on the head. That happened to me here in FL and it sucked BIG time due to the PD being told what to do by the morning show host....Yeah that really happened. But good thing I learned from this situation was everything not to do so someone up stairs really looked out for me on that aspect. I do see certain stations that are hiring one minute and you send your stuff and then within 3 months you see that same job open again. So do you think it's the PD that's the problem for the revolving door on some of these stations?

koolbreeze6

Post by koolbreeze6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 am

I think the PD is off his rocker if you ask me. And it's a shame that so many people get passed over because the PD has NO clue to what he wants. As for the EEOC posting I believe that also happened to my self and a buddy of mine as I'm black and he's half latino and we both received a phone call literally 15 mins after one another with the PD saying the same thing to both of us and he and I were in different markets. None the least it was very comical and the PD in this (30+PPM) market hired this guy from VA who was pretty unknown but at least the guy was decent.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:15 pm

The job opportunity you SHOULD have missed out on was the first radio job you all got. Now you are stuck in the worst non-growth industry there is, and all because you thought you would be a star. LOL.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:34 am

...and you're stuck cruising the industry sites, JJ, wanting so much to matter. Somewhere.

radioelizabeth

Post by radioelizabeth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:21 pm

jjenkins wrote:The job opportunity you SHOULD have missed out on was the first radio job you all got. Now you are stuck in the worst non-growth industry there is, and all because you thought you would be a star. LOL.
One more time for jj:

RADAR 2009 showed an increase of 25 million over 2008. RADAR 2010 showed an additional increase of 3.3 million. That's almost 240 million. Or Over 93% of all persons 12+.

RADIO'S REACH PER WEEK:

95% of Adults 18+ making $75,000.
96% of A 25-54 college grads making $50,000.
96% of A 18-49 with a degree.

I'd call that growth.

mediadawg

Post by mediadawg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Here's one no one should apply for, no matter how desperate you might be. Really? This is what it has come to? Why don't you just say we want young and cheap.

Make babies in Fort Wayne!

Come to Fort Wayne, Indiana, make a baby and program....

unbelievable or maybe it is.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:04 am

I like that one!

C'mon, at least these people are trying to be a little creative. Wouldn't you rather work for someone like that rather than the corporate clones that seem to dominate the industry now?