Post CC Layoffs (LAID OFF? Read This ...)

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
ccformer

Post CC Layoffs (LAID OFF? Read This ...)

Post by ccformer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:53 pm

At least a little bit of humor has emerged following the October 26, 2011, Clear Channel downsizing. Below is a forwarded message I received on Facebook. It was not the first time this suggestion had reached my inbox, but this one is by far the best-written.

Yours Truly,
Unemployed Radio Bum
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings,

I, like you, am among those recently sent packing by the corporate greed and mismanagement of Clear Channel Communications. And I'm passing on a brilliant suggestion from someone in yet another market who was provided with a lifeboat from that giant sinking ship.

If you are as the rest of us, you are now stuck with a great deal of radio station apparel that you now will no longer wear, as you have no desire to promote a business that did this to you. The suggestion being passed around is that these items be donated to those in need, specifically the homeless. You will be doing a good deed, as these people need all the help they can get. And it will have the added benefit of people in your city seeing skid-row bums running around town wearing Wxxx/Kxxx clothing, preferably with the word STAFF on it. Some have even suggested telling the recipients that wearing the staff gear will get them into everything free, to cause possible embarrassment for the stations. But I personally will stop short of that.

Please keep in mind that many shelters to which you might donate may take the items and place them for sale in a thrift store, in an effort to fund their many programs. There, of course, is nothing wrong with that. But you want the bums to wear it, so if the organization won't guarantee that those shirts, jackets, hoodies, caps, etc., will be handed directly to the homeless, find another organization. Or, if it is safe to do so, you may consider what I am planning to do after I finish this writing. I will be visiting a homeless camp to distribute my 20-year accumulation personally.

Best wishes in your future endeavors. If you received a severance, sit back and enjoy it. And remember, we will all be better off. The ones we should pity, in addition to the homeless, are those still stuck at a slowly failing radio corporation.

And, please, even if you elect not to follow the suggestions in this e-mail, at least pass it on to others in our situation, so that they may make their own choice.

ccformer

Re: Post CC Layoffs (LAID OFF? Read This ...)

Post by ccformer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:31 pm

I'm curious as to how many of you have done this, either recently or in the past. And, yes, I liked this idea and followed suit. If you don't want to comment under your regular log-in, create another, as I did.

ccformer

Post by ccformer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:25 am

So far, no luck in seeing the panhandlers wearing staff gear while begging. It's a little chilly here up north, and there were only a couple of jackets in my stash.

boing

Post by boing » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 am

watch the news tragedies around the world, and you can find a scene of a post earthquake Hatian, or other third world person with some station logoed shirt or hat

ccformer

Post by ccformer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:16 pm

I am happy to report that at least on the facebook side, this suggestion has been taken by several people. I have been e-mailed pictures of panhandlers wearing radio station staff apparel. So I need to take a drive to the area where I gave away my gear, and hopefully see the same results. To those of you who participated, you have my gratitude - not only for the novelty side of this, but for also helping those in need. I met some genuinely nice, though troubled, people when I made my delivery.