News-talk

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
cbrons

News-talk

Post by cbrons » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Anyone have any advice for landing a starting position in news/talk AM or FM radio? I have a relatively large listenerbase for my weekly radio show online + podcast, but want to do it full-time.

1lossir

Re: News-talk

Post by 1lossir » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:23 am

You didn't say where you are, but wherever it is start by trying to land a board op or phone screener gig at a N/T station.

And consider unpaid work as experience will get you where you need to go. Unfortunately online experience doesn't count for much.

Finally, if you don't already have a website with your demos posted, then do so right away. Makes it easier to get your stuff in front of a hiring manager than e-mail/snail mail.

Good luck!

cbrons

Post by cbrons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Central Illinois, but of course I'm willing to relocate pretty much anywhere in the country save for CA, NY, Mass or most east coast places other than New Hampshire.

cuddzu

Post by cuddzu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:48 am

Why not find someone who can help your podcast go daily? Why do you need a Radio job when it sounds like you are creating viable and engaging content on your own?

I say keep it up and build what you are doing. Don't think in the traditional sense, just continue to innovate and build your podcast. That way you own everything and all the profit goes to your pocket, and not some Radio company.

Just a thought.
Thank You
All Access Moderator