"The definition of insanity is...

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
1lossir

"The definition of insanity is...

Post by 1lossir » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:01 am

"...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." -Albert Einstein

Yet so many job seekers are doing just that - re-posting their TERRIBLE SW ads VERBATIM and expecting to get someone interested in them.

Since it's clear the message ain't getting through, let me be blunt: It ain't working.

If you can't sell yourself on an Internet forum, how in the heck will you be able to sell yourself and the station to the listeners?

Some basics:

1. You're in a large pool with a handful of fishermen. Make yourself easier to catch. Drop this "demos on request" crap. Put your stuff online - enough of it to make PDs want MORE. And don't say you can't build a website or afford hosting - use Google and you can find resources to do it for FREE.

2. Consider yourself VERY fortunate if a PD bothers to contact you. Oh, and take out the condescending BS like "I'm ready to talk to you".

3. The I's DON'T have it! Take a look at your post. How many times does it say "I am", "I did" or any other "I". Get rid of them. It isn't all about you.

4. Brevity is genius. Save the tome writing for your blog. Get to the point with your SW ad. If it's more than 100 words it's too much.

5. Finally - find a PD and ask them to look at your post. If you don't know a PD, go to the local college station or noncomm (every town has one). Ask them if they'd hire you based on what you wrote. I bet 99.99999% of the time the answer would be a resounding NO!!!

You're selling yourself, people - so why not do it the BEST way possible?