What Can I Do

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
musicmonet

What Can I Do

Post by musicmonet » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Just wondering what I can do to try to set myself apart from other candidates when applying for jobs. Graduated from college about three years ago with my degree in Communication, during college I was the PD of my college's station and I interned for a radio station in DC. Upon graduation I got a job as a board operator at an ESPN affiliate station and now I'm a board operator and part time promotions crew member for a radio company in Virginia. Just wondering if there's something else I should be doing that really says "HEY LOOK AT ME!" Thanks! :D

phildavis

Re: What Can I Do

Post by phildavis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:31 am

Just keep at it.

You might want to look at very small markets to move up qjuicker.

Here is a buddy did (and it worked). He wikied all the stations in his state. Found the smallest little groups he could find and wrote them. I am talking AM's. Also FM stations way out in the sticks. He said he was surprised but he actually got SEVERAL offers of interest. Nothing big. Minimum wage, but he took that and in 9 months became Mornings/PD and is now a year later looking to move up to a mjuch bigger station owned by the same (small but not miniscule) company.

Since you mentioned Virginia, let's stick with that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... n_Virginia

Read each page for each station, go to the website if they have one. If they don't have one that is actually GOOD news because that means they are REALLY small. Again, that is where you will find your jobs!

Good luck! You can do it!

Phil.