Bloggers: Asset or just a Pain in the Asset?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
WhiskeyChick

Bloggers: Asset or just a Pain in the Asset?

Post by WhiskeyChick » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:42 am

Full disclaimer: I run several blogs.
Second disclaimer: I'm not a delicate snowflake. You're not going to hurt my feelings.

Now for the question: I've been running music promoting blogs for going on 15 years now. I've watched the industry go from being oblivious to the blogging community, to leveraging bloggers for guerilla marketing, to buying up all the successful blogs they can get their hands on and re-purposing them to their own means (I've even had the privilege of turning down some of those fine offers for reasons of my own).

My question though, is that no matter how far blogging has come in the eyes of the labels and publicists, there's always an air of disdain for the bloggers themselves in trade shows, networking events and industry forums. At what point can a blog be considered a "proper" outlet? What factors into the reputation of that outlet in the eyes of the publicists and artists? Features? Traffic? Exclusives? Network partnership?

As I continue forward I have to make decisions that ensure our future success, and if selling to or being absorbed by a larger conglomerate just to be taken seriously is a requirement, then I'm finally at a point I would consider doing it.

helios21

Re: Bloggers: Asset or just a Pain in the Asset?

Post by helios21 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:54 am

why do you care what publicists and labels think about you or your blogs? The blogs that get the attention of mainstream media are because they bring in the numbers audience wise. That applies no matter what the blog covers topic wise. Do your blogs attract an audience? If the answer is no, then there's your answer to the original question. If your blogs do attract an audience, then the questions have to be a bit more in depth. Is the audience you're attracting large enough to matter? is the audience the right demographic for the people you want to notice to care? Just some food for thought, but my humble advice is, if you love blogging, keep doing it for that, and eventually people will notice. If you blog so that you can get industry "validation", maybe you should reconsider why you're blogging in the first place.