Showing your team what you've got!

What are you doing to make money in these tough times? How are you motivating your staff?

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

rowdyron

Showing your team what you've got!

Post by rowdyron » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:26 pm

One of the most important attributes of a salesperson is knowing what they are selling.

Have they taken the time to understand how the Programming side of the station works?
One of the simplest things you can do to insure this happens is to let them attend the
programming meetings. Not only will they feel closer to the action on this side of the station
but it will give them some insight on the jocks and maybe new ideas for a sales pitch.

junebug

Re: Showing your team what you've got!

Post by junebug » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:36 pm

Oh, God, what an invitation to a nightmare. Salespeople think they know programming already. That'll only encourage more terrible proposals for endorsements and stuff like that. Maybe the PD can talk to them, but including them in a programming meeting seems like a bad thing. :roll:

tuneguru84

Post by tuneguru84 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:58 pm

I just checked out Joe GM AllAccess.com/joe-gm and found some pretty interesting things there. Talked about sales and programming and how they need to come together. About damn time someone did that!

ibizamitch

Post by ibizamitch » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:58 am

Agreed, I think there is a wall between the two at most stations and we should work more on bringing that down..

If only we could get David Hassellhoff in the mix...

tomszafranski

Post by tomszafranski » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:16 am

Junebug, I don't know where you are, but how DID you get there? Should be a little more creative, at least in your answer.

bobydavid71

Post by bobydavid71 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:55 am

Hi

When you use internet explorer, pls pay attention to sidebar. You can see articles related, pdf or ppt file…you can find out your info.

Best regards

yourdigitalwiz

Post by yourdigitalwiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:05 am

Know your product. That is part of every in the sales cycle. As part of training and periodic retraining, sales people should get exposure to all aspects of the station. This give perspective on how things get down, what gets in the way, where the priorities are and most importantly it is a reality check.

A sales person prospects and sells to everyone. They have to accurately reflect the quality of the station, the marketing reach of the market, and the people who are behind the scenes implementing the campaigns. They have to see the attributes of the station without overselling or underselling its capabilities.

I not only think it is a great idea for sales people to sit in on a production meeting, I think it is a great idea for the production staff to go on a sales call. There will be mutual trust and respect for each other's part and they can work as a team instead of islands of work.

DKVoice

Post by DKVoice » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:47 am

I volunteered to sit in on a sales call or a client visit and was told no. We had salespeople sit in with clients during a recording session from start to finish. This went over with mixed results. Some showed more appreciation for the process, some just gabbed with the clients and made the session drag out longer.