Copyrights for Radio Station Promos & Parodies

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Copyrights for Radio Station Promos & Parodies

Post by rogerwimmer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:16 am

Hi, Doc: When a radio station uses segments of a song for a Promo or an Intro for a segment, do you have to ask for permission to the Artist/Author/Record Company to use it? Do you have to report it to the Associations? What about parody songs made and sung by the staff of the radio station? Thanks in advance for your help! - Anonymous

Anon: Interesting questions. So that I don’t have to reinvent the information wheel, I’ll direct you to a few websites for your answers.

Station Promos. You’ll find in this article that you will generally need special permission to use music in promo materials.

Parody Songs. These two articles explain that you also need permission even for parodies:

Parody 1

Parody 2

There ya go.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.