Mass Media Research: An Introduction - New Edition?

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Mass Media Research: An Introduction - New Edition?

Post by rogerwimmer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:55 am

Doc: When is the new edition of your textbook going to be available? - Anonymous

Anon: Thanks for asking and I’m sure our publisher (Cengage) would also say thanks. On to your question . . .

Joe Dominick and I have been working on the new 10th edition for the past year. We just finished and it was printed last week. That means it is now available for professors to request a review copy, but it won’t be for sale until January 1, 2013. The slight delay for sales is due to the fact that our text has a 2014 copyright.

Our first edition came out 30 years ago (1982) and we frequently receive emails from professors around the world who tell us that they used our text as students and now use it in their own media research classes. It’s always a pleasure to receive emails like that. The new edition will also be translated into Korean and Portuguese, which means that the book will now be available in 14 languages in addition to the English edition and International edition.

For this edition, I asked my youngest son, Jeremy, to design an image to be used on the cover. Jeremy (aka Buckwheat) is an excellent artist and I told him it would be nice to have something that uses the cover colors from editions 1-9 and show some type of movement or action. He developed about ten different images and we selected one that our publisher also liked. Jeremy is obviously happy that his design will be seen by people all over the world. (You can see his design if you click on the website link below.)

Although the new edition isn’t for sale yet, I was able to upload the new website I developed and maintain for students and professors. If you would like to see it, click here. If you click on the 10th edition cover, you will be taken to a different page that shows a larger version of Jeremy’s design. You are also welcome to look at the information in the other links, but you won’t be able to go to the Instructor’s Page because it’s only for professors and is password protected.

Finally, Cengage also has a page for the text – click here. Note: We have no control over the price of the book.

Once again, thanks for asking and let me know if you have any questions.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.