Sturgis Motorcycle Rally - Crazyface

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally - Crazyface

Post by rogerwimmer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:56 am

Doc: I know you go to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally every year and you usually have a story or two to tell. Did you see anything new or different this year? Maybe I’ll make it there one of these years. - Marc

Marc: Yes, I went to Sturgis again - 21 years in a row. And yes, there were many new and different things to see, just like every year. My wife really enjoys the rally and now my sons, their significant others, and my granddaughter make the trip. Everybody has a good time.

Anyway, we were walking down Main Street in Sturgis one day and Taylor, my 8 year-old granddaughter, was next to me. This was Taylor’s third Sturgis Rally, so she has become accustomed to seeing all sorts of unique people and events. She has also learned from my son, her mother, and me, not to judge people solely on the basis of how they look (the old, “Don’t judge a book by looking at the cover” thing).

There was a crowd of people taking pictures of someone and when we got closer, Taylor said, “Hey Grandpa, that man’s face is tattooed.” We walked up to him and started talking. We found out that he goes by the name Crazyface and doesn’t give out his real name. I asked if I could take his picture. “No problem,” he said. Here is Crazyface:

And yes, Crazyface’s eyes are tattooed red. I asked how much that hurt and he said, “It hurt like hell.”

We talked for a while and Taylor asked me if I would take a photo of her with Crazyface. He said, “Sure,” and making a hand gesture to Taylor said, “Do this.” Taylor loved it. Here they are:

Crazyface is incredibly cordial, very easy to talk to, and willing to have his photo taken by anyone. When we left, Taylor said, “Crazyface is a nice man.”

I had to ask Crazyface what he did for a living. Can you guess? He works for a tattoo supply company – Click Here.

There ya go. That was one of many unique things we saw this year at the Sturgis Rally.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.